Background

Friday, May 4, 2012

Why I am well suited for raising a preschool/kindergarteners...

I sometimes ponder the fun I have with the kids and think to myself, I have so much in common with the boy, it's no wonder I find him so entertaining.  I was never the girliest girl growing up, but there's just something about playing with Caleb for which I just feel so well suited.  Here are some of my ideas why:
1.  We share similar literary and television tastes... In Caleb's case, in particular, we love all things superhero.  An actual excerpt from our car conversation today:
Caleb: Mommy, what does the Green Lantern do?
Mommy: He channels green energy from his special Green Lantern ring to create all sorts of special weapons and crime-fighting tools. 
Caleb: How did he get his ring?
Mommy: It chose him after its former owner, another member of the Green Lanterns, was killed. 
Caleb: So is he a hero or a villain?
Mommy: Definitely a hero, Buddy.
Caleb: So what about Iceman?...
You name the hero, and Mommy knows his background, origins, and the villains associated with him.  And if I don't, you betcha I'll look it up. 

2.  We both have a deep and abiding love of base humor. - I'm sorry, but the word "poop" still makes me giggle, though I have to, as Mom Law states, pretend not to think it's funny and remind him it's inappropriate for social circles.  I also think that farting can be really quite funny, as well.  Esp. when it's done around Daddy, and not me.  Yep, my sense of humor hasn't evolved much beyond my three-year-old's level. 

3.  We both would rather play soccer than dolls. -  I just get the love of kicking and throwing balls (though I stink at it, thus my negative school sports record) and vrooming cars around the house.  Doll play, not so much, though I try hard to show interest for the girls' enjoyment.  Thankfully none of my kids are that into dolls except for occasional stints. 

4.  We both find bugs fascinating. - I love a cute little wiggly worm or a neat millipede from the sandbox.  We'll sit and study them for long periods of time.  We name our garden spiders, and sit entertained for hours watching them wrap up their prey in their webs.  I do, however, draw the line at slugs.  Do NOT bring Mommy a slug.  The consequences may involve vomit.  Sorry for the mental picture, but I don't do slugs.  Worms are somehow kosher in my mind, but their smaller, black, slightly slimier relatives must die.   Irrational, yes.  Logical, no.  Nonetheless true. 

5.  Simple games are awesome. - I'm sorry, but in my stage of the game, when I'm exhausted all the time, I HATE any game involving much brain power.  I am not cognitively alert enough for monopoly or chess, or even really the game of Memory, but I can totally hang out for a game of Candy Land, Twister, or War.  Just don't ask me to remember what color my game piece is.  That's my kids' job to remember that little detail for me.  :)

6.  We both think brussel sprouts suck.  Unfortunately being the adult, I have to choke them down and pretend their AWESOME in order to broaden the horizons of the others in my home.  I guess that's what makes me the adult in this zany madhouse.  In fact, I can think of a whole list of things I hate that I have to pretend are great for the sake of the littles, including (but not limited to): car trips, grocery shopping, most raw vegetables, brushing my teeth and flossing (dirty little secret alert... I totally hate the feeling of the toothbrush on my teeth), healthy cereals (OH MY GOSH, would somebody PUHLEEZE sneak me some Lucky Charms?!), and being outside on a cold day, etc., etc.

 I do so enjoy getting to hang with my little peeps all day, especially at this particularly fun and adorable age where practically anything could fall out of their mouth at any moment (like Sarah pointing to a Muslim woman with a headdress and asking, loudly, "Momma, what kind of a person is THAT!?"... I swear I've explained other world cultures, but she had a moment of forgetfulness).  And hopefully some day I'll mature with them, so that I can continue to enjoy the things they're interested in, but for now, who's in for a game of Spiderman vs. She-Ra? 

"I'd totally kick Spiderman's tail, by the way." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are AWESOME... but be nice or I might cry, kthanx!
Mel